Wednesday, July 05, 2006

The Pick-Up Artist

Today I got to see Cooper try to pick up on girl for the first time. Yep, my little boy is already playing the field.

Today I took Cooper to the club play room for him to be able to run around and play with all the other kids. About 3o minutes into his playing, screeching, and running he stopped dead in front of a cute little 2 year old girl who was sitting on a foam rectangle. He stared at her for a few seconds, then proceeded to point at the play gym and jabber away. I imagine he was trying to communicate that they should go play together, and how well Cooper can climb up and down the big steps (no doubt trying to impress the little lass). She just stared at him. Cooper then jabbered more and pointed again. Still no response. I think Cooper could tell that the little girl was not going to be moved by his mastery of 'goo goo gaa gaa' parlance alone, and so he approached. He was not shy in the least, Cooper was a boy with a goal. He was going to sit down beside her. However, as soon as Cooper was part way up the foam rectangle, and it was obvious to the little girl what he was trying to do, she got up and ran away to go sit someplace else. Cooper was a little devestated. He tried to hide it; play it off like it was no big deal, but I could tell. He just sat on his little foam rectangle, alone, staring at the little girl now across the room, with a look of distraught disappointment on his face. I felt bad for the tyke. He had just experienced his first (to my knowledge) R E J E C T I O N. Oooh, ouch. But, true to Cooper form, after about 2 minutes the entire experience was forgotten and he was again trooping around the play room with his silly little pleased grin beaming brightly.

No comments: