Friday, December 28, 2007

Hong Kong scots

A couple of weeks ago I saw something that goes up there on the list of things I never thought I’d ever see.

I was walking toward an escalator on my way to work, and just as I rounded a corner I saw four chinese men playing the bagpipes. Yes, that’s scottish bagpipes. They were actually playing quite well, but to complete the ambiance of the thing they were also wearing full scottish regalia.

Let me attempt to paint the picture for you, since most of it is a sight you have no doubt seen before, at the very least on television.

Imagine the unique and unmistakeable sound of bagpipe music whistling oddly through the Hong Kong air. Turn a corner, and there are the bagpipes in question held by four men in full, thick kilts in bold scottish reds, greens, and browns, knee-high bleach white socks, and scottish hats. Peer at the faces looking for the peach-white freckled faces and blonde hair of scottish highlanders, and, nope, there are the brown almond eyes, black hair and tannish skin of four smaller-stature chinese men struggling with bagpipes almost as large as they are.

I don’t know how they managed to do it, but they did play pretty well.

Definitely something I’ve never seen before in my life. And a good chance it will stay in my memory for quite awhile.

2 comments:

Elaine Pettit said...

Hey you two hope all is well in Hong Kong but you definitely need to update this blog hehehehe

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful sight to see! Especially for a Scotch-Irish lad such as Eric Campbell. I would have relished the sight myself and just Eric's well written blog-post will stay in my memory for some time to come. For a Scotch-Irish grandpa, I truely enjoyed the "visual" this blog-entry provided.